Brielle’s Second Day in Savannah

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Sunday, August 2, was a very wet and rainy day!

When we met Mom downstairs, she said Dad had run off to the concierge lounge. When he came back he had pineapple for Brielle. He said, “I heard my grandbaby loves pineapple.” It meant so much to me that he went and got her favorite for her. I love my Daddy.

We started out the day by having breakfast at 700 Drayton Restaurant. Which was good, great fruit which Brielle loved! I had a quiche and a bowl of fruit, seriously amazing bowl of fruit. Brielle tolerated the quiche and then did a happy dance for the fruit.

We then waited for a while for the trolley tour, which we chose to do first while the rain was the worst. And so did everyone else. The trolley tour was really cool and Brielle loved it! She was moving about like crazy during it, I guess she found Savannah history fascinating? I took a couple of pictures of my favorite houses that we passed. We passed a tavern for pirates, the one that inspired the tavern in Treasure Island. A Ford Model T store. A regency era square, which I really liked since that is my favorite era and more interesting places.

We had lunch at a vegan/vegetarian restaurant. It was really tasty! Brielle was very happy. I had a pita of some kind, that had lots of stuff Brielle liked on it. It was good for us to rest after walking around after the trolley tour. We then went back to the hotel and changed for our trip to Tybee.

Thankfully we got to Tybee as the storm from Tybee moved to Savannah, so we had a nice window of good weather. I was so excited to share this moment with Brielle. I am part fish, and love the water, so this was important to me for that reason. David just loves the beach, the ocean, the atmosphere, etc. so he was excited to share ocean air and seafood with Brielle.

I enjoyed coasting with the waves, and letting them take Brielle and I closer into shore. I had a really hard time feeling Brielle while we were in the ocean. I know that she didn’t dislike the ocean and “swimming,” because she never did her angry kicks or the, “I don’t like this” kicks. We think it probably felt similar to being in the womb anyways, but she may have very well been enjoying it. She’s still small and I don’t feel every little thing she does. Either way, we had fun. I spoke to Brielle quite a bit, as did David. We told her how much we love her, what the ocean was like, I told her about waves, and let her feel us float. I sang to her the lullaby I sing to her everyday. We rubbed on her and I found it hilarious that the baby fish found my ankles fascinating. So I told Brielle about the fishies. There were also quite a few jumping fish, so we shared that with her as well.

David and I got out and talked to Dad for a while, Mom went to put on her suit so that she could come swim with Brielle and I. Dad and David stayed on the beach and Mom and I went back in. The waves were starting to get rougher so we didn’t get to stay out as long. But Mom and I talked to Brielle some more, talked about what we wanted to do for the rest of the day and the next day. I told her there was no rush to get back to Atlanta, just we wanted to get back after or before evening traffic. So we decided to stay longer and spend some more time in Savannah. That was fine with me, Savannah is one of my favorite places and I wanted to show Brielle as much as possible.

We went back to the beach and I told Mom that we needed to write Brielle’s name in the sand. As I was telling her this, David said he has already done it. Sure enough he had written Brielle in the sand, and strangely an arrow pointing to the right. He didn’t know why he drew the arrow, he just said he was doodling. Okie dokie. Dad had already taken pictures of it too! So that was nice, especially since the storm was coming in. The wind was picking up and it was beginning to mist. None of us were hungry yet, so we drove around Tybee and looked at the beach houses. Mom and I really enjoy that. I think Brielle enjoyed the stillness and quiet. We managed to find our way to the lighthouse, so we got out and walked around it a bit. There was also a fort nearby. It said it was a hurricane safe zone, but it really didn’t look safe, or friendly.

We went to a seafood place that David found on TripAdvisor. That place had a ton of rules for the customers and the manager/owner was really awful to her employees. But the food was pretty good. Kind of a strange place. David and I ordered fresh calamari for Brielle, she liked it! It was really soft and not chewy at all. Since Brielle is very picky when it comes to fish, I ordered a filet and lobster. Two of her favorites. She was very hungry, so was a happy camper once I fed her. She may or may not have inherited the Wolford hangry gene (extreme anger and tantrums when hungry).

We went to Leopold’s (ice cream) later that evening. The line was out the door, it was so hard to choose what to get. I knew Brielle probably wouldn’t go for ice cream, but dangit, I wanted some. I ordered a hot fudge sundae for myself and a baby cup of birthday cake ice cream for Brielle. Seriously did not anticipate how big the hot fudge sundae was. Dad had a chocolate malt, Mom had an ice cream cone, and David ordered a banana split. He should have known he was in trouble when he was asked how many spoons he needed. That thing was a monstrosity of deliciousness. David said, “Challenge accepted.” He was regretting that later. Leopold’s was a really interesting place, the family history was interesting, and the ice cream was really great too. Brielle was quiet throughout the whole Leopold’s adventure. I think she was worn out and sleeping, it had been a big day for a little girl!

Brielle perked up once we got back to the hotel. I talked to her quite a bit and she was so happy and started reacting to what I was saying. I love it when she listens. Sometimes I feel crazy because it isn’t normal to connect with your baby that much and I think people must think I’m making this stuff up. But I’m not. She’s a very attentive baby. I’ll just take it as a blessing since I won’t have years to get to know her. She had so much fun listening to me talk to her. I sang to her some too and David came over and talked to her too. She just kept wiggling around.

When I got into bed she was still all over the place and having a blast, but it was time for bed. So I sang her, “I’ll Love You Forever,” wrapped my arms around my belly, and told her it was time to go to bed. After a few minutes she started to calm down. David prayed over her and us. And I said my usual daily prayer, “Lord, please save my baby.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s